Thursday, June 9, 2011

Woodworking Class



My mom and I decided to take a woodworking class at UVU. Its part of thier community education program and I LOVED it! I looked forward to the class each and every week. I absolutely adored designing stuff to make. One day if I can afford it, I would love to have my own workshop so I can keep designing and making.



So Casey and I pretty much have all the furniture we need for our little condo. I figured eventually we would need a baby changing table of some sort for when we have kids. I decided I would make a dresser/changing table to go in our spare bedroom. Because the class we were in was just a beginners class, I wasn't allowed to make drawers. Instead I started by buying the baskets and tailored the dresser around them. I also wanted the dresser to have a large storage compartment so that I could go to costco and get stuff like a huge diaper package and be able to just throw it in there and hide it. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I looked at some to buy online and the cheapest I could find that was still cute was $179.00. The MDF I used to make this was 33, the rabbit feet I bought off of etsie for 12, the door hinges were 3, the ADORABLE knob from hobby lobby for 1.50, the beadboard was left over from when we beadboarded our condo, and the paint for it was about 30... so for about 80 bucks I made my own!! Oh- and I already have the perfect green and white lamp at hobby lobby picked out for it ;)



And for my next project... I want to build something like this for my craft stuff!! Well- it will actually be a very long time before I can have a place designated for my craft stuff, but I'd like to build one for my mother-in-law or sister (Michele- duh!) who I think would love one! I would also like to build a toy chest for this same room that has the same rabbit feet at the bottom and also uses beadboard. Looks like i'll need to take the class again! I am also taking a cake decorating class with Anna. More to come about that!




No comments:

Post a Comment