Back to planning: Casey and I have felt so blessed already by the generousity friends and family has shown us and we know we are super lucky to have so much family close by to help and love Easton. I've mentioned in a previous post... I'm still amazed at what Casey's sister Mindy was able to get for us by catching her neighbor on her way to D.I. and what Mindy gave us herself. So the reason why I wanted to write this post is to gather in somewhat of a list what big supplies that we and other expecting parents will need.
There's a few things that we already have and for the things that we dont: I need advice! There are so many options out there and to be honest I just don't really know where to start. I've done some looking online but I'm torn between getting something inexpensive or getting something really good that will last us for years and babies to come. Also, I'm not gonna lie but up until a few days ago I didn't know what a basinet was... so maybe this list with pictures will help other expecting moms. I put down prices that I determined were average (looked at BabiesRus a lot which appears overpriced... so estimates are probably high which I'd rather for planning)
Crib $100-800: I think any crib would probably be fine... as long as it meets requirements and has no led paint (so i've read)... which means anything you buy now in a store I imagine is fine. This was Mindy's and I absolutely love it. Crib matress $60: Sandra, a lady I work with who is AWESOME gave us this brand new one. Like I said... we feel seriously blessed.
Crib Bedding $60-a bazillion dollars: This has probably been my most frustrating task as of yet. I looked online at ton of bedding and this was the only one that I actually liked. Most of the bedding itself was super busy and not my taste. I wanted something more simple. When I put "seriously struggling to find crib bedding" as a facebook post most people replied by saying that they made thier own... I'm not surprised. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but I went to a ton of stores and the cheapest bedding I could find for a 3-piece set (sheet, skirt, bumper) was 54.99 and I didn't even like it. I was super discouraged. I ended up getting this set off of amazon... 88 bucks with shipping but I'm super excited about it. Even though this was part of a 13 piece set and I probably don't need or want many of the other items... I love the minky dots and it was cheaper to get this anyways.
Car Seat: $120: I am very happy that we were given a very gently used car seat. To get a picture of a carseat for this post, I searched "car seat" on the babiesRus website and hundreds came up. No wonder I woudln't know what to get!
Rocking Chair/Glider $100-300: I felt particular in what chair I wanted. I didn't want a traditional rocking chair or baby glider. I wanted more of a sofa so that we would be comfortable. We got this from Mindy's neighbor and I couldn't have picked it out better myself!
Baby-changing table $150-400: I really think just any dresser would work for a changing table. I took a woodworking class with my mom and thru a combination of not having anything else to make and wanting to be creative, I made this a few years ago. I love it. I made it so when you open the door, the shelves are BIG so I can toss big ol' packages of stuff like costco diapers in there and be done.
Boppy $30: Once again, THANK-YOU mindy! This will be so nice when I'm breast-feeding.
Bumbo $45: I still remember when my friend Jessica got one and how much she loved it. I've heard wonderful things about bumbos and that they are just really practical for babies. My sister-in-law said that they are nice cause you can set your baby in them just about anywhere. I've also heard they are great cause they are plastic and easy to clean.
Breast Pump $100: A lady I used to work with gave me her old breast pump and I couldn't be more greatful. I have heard from a lot of people though that Medela has the best pump. I've heard that the kind that you can put over your shoulder and don't have to hold are great. I will be going back to work after maternity leave and I am planning on breast feeding. The one that was given to me is not this nice and I'm not sure of the brand... but i'm sure it will be great.
Now on to stuff we still need, and your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Now on to stuff we still need, and your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Pack-N-Play $100: I've had a few people tell me that a pack n play isn't really something anyone NEEDS. While I agree with that for most people, Casey and I are always going somewhere. We stay at my parents and his parents house a lot. I think for us it would definately get its use!
Basinet $100: Bed for baby when they are newborns so they can sleep in our room close to us. Yep... I guess a crib isn't enough (sheesh). I really like this design but I've also seen rectangular ones made out of wood that seem like they may last a really long time. With these only being used for newborns... I could get a lot of use out of one, pretty much no matter what kind/material, right? Question- could a Pack N Play act like a basinet so if we just got a Pack N Play we would be covered?
Stroller $200: Car seat down, stroller to go! With so many options of strollers out there... this is probably the one thing that stresses me out the most. I've heard this kind with three wheels are really nice cause they are easy to maneuver. What pockets/cup holders/compartments do you like? Would you rather have one that is super simple and easy to get in and out of the car? Question- are most strollers built so that you can put a car seat right in it, or do you HAVE to buy them together (i'm pretty sure our carseat is Graco...do you think if we get a Graco stoller that they will be compatable?)
Swing $120: Another item with a million options. This one doesn't stress me out as much tho. I'll probably pick one up at the Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot that matches Easton's room.
Dresser $150-300: While this isn't strictly baby related, we will need something other than the baby-changing table to store stuff. Also since we don't have any more space in Easton's room, this will be going in Easton's closet (also Casey's closet). Sandra found me this one at Shopko that is normally $300 but often goes on sale for $150. I am posting this cause i'm torn with getting this one that is made of MDF and may not last as long... or getting one on KSL or something that is made of real wood that may last longer. But i've also heard kids destroy furniture so maybe getting something a little cheaper that won't necessarily last is okay?
Okay... now what am I missing? What products (like the bumbo) that aren't necessary but do you highly recommend? Hopefully there are a few moms who read this blog and are willing to comment??
Sounds like you have most of what you need. It's so nice to have family and friends that have things to pass along.
ReplyDeleteJust my thoughts (take them for what they're worth being a first time mom). I love our pack n play. We just take it with us and set it up at friends/family/anyone's house and we can go out after bedtime. Love it. And costco sells them cheap.
Medela really does make the best pump, and pumping can be a little frustrating sometimes. I'd still try the pump you have, but if it doesn't work out, you can buy the pump off KSL and then replace the parts (my hospital gave me two sets of all the parts I ever needed).
As for a stroller/highchair/everything else. You can buy the nice things in hopes of them lasting for multiple kids--but my experience with an 8 month old so far is that not many things are going to make it to a second baby, or they are nasty and I don't really want to keep them. Especially the stroller, after flights, dumping in the trunk, etc. So I kinda lean toward getting a less expensive stroller and just replacing it.